Buckwheat Flour Mince Pies with Meringue Tops
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
Treat yourself and your family to these rather special mince pies made with our buckwheat flour, crisp almond pastry and topped with delicious meringue. Use mincemeat from a jar or rustle up some of your own using our home-made mincemeat.
2 x 12-hole tart trays, round pastry cutters, saucepan and 3 x mixing bowls
BUCKWHEAT ALMOND PASTRY
100g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Buckwheat Flour
25g icing sugar
¼ tsp xanthan gum
75g ground almonds
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp water, to mix
butter, for tart trays
flour, for dusting
OR HOMEMADE MINCEMEAT FILLING
75g grated apple
1 orange, grated rind and juice
50g coconut oil
25g brown sugar
125g mixed dried fruit and peel
1 tsp mixed spice
100g icing sugar
½ tsp Doves Farm Organic Cornflour
½ tsp Doves Farm Vitamin C
2 egg whites
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Buckwheat Almond Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around the inside of two 12-hole tart trays.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Measure the flour, icing sugar and xanthan gum into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the ground almonds.
- Add the butter cubes and work them into the flour with a fork or pastry blender until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolks and water and stir to make a soft dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the pastry until about 1.5mm/1/16” thick.
- Select a pastry cutter or cup with a diameter 2cm/¾” larger than the holes of the tart trays and press it into the dough to make circles.
- Lift the pastry circles into the prepared tart trays.
- Gather up the pastry off cuts, pressing them into a ball of dough and roll it out again to cut more circles or wrap and freeze the leftover pastry for another day.
- Put a teaspoon of mincemeat in the centre of each tart without filling to the edge of the pastry.
- Bake for 12–14 minutes.
or Homemade Mincemeat Filling
- Peel and coarse grate the apple, into a saucepan.
- Finely grate the orange peel into the pan, squeeze and add the orange juice.
- Add the coconut oil and brown sugar and simmer over a gentle heat for 8-10 minutes, until the apple starts to collapse into the syrup.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the mixed dried fruit and peel and mixed spice.
- Cover, leave to cool and leave to stand for 12 hours before use. The mincemeat can be put into sterilized jars, refrigerated for three days or frozen until required.
- Put a teaspoon of the mixture in the centre of each tart.
- Bake for 12–14 minutes.
- Sieve the icing sugar, cornflour and Vitamin C into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Put the egg whites into a larger bowl and beat until stiff.
- Beat the prepared sugar mix into the egg whites, a spoon at a time.
- Pipe a swirl or put a teaspoon of meringue on the top of each tart.
- Bake for a further 10–12 minutes until the meringue is a light golden colour.
- Serve warm or cold.