Preparing the Dough and Fruit
- Put the spelt flour, quick yeast, sugar, salt and mixed spice into the bowl of a kitchen mixer and stir to combine.
- Break the egg into the bowl, add the milk and softened butter.
- Mix into a smooth paste.
- Cover and leave overnight.
- Put the sultanas and glace peel into a bowl.
- Grate the orange rind into the bowl.
- Squeeze the orange, add three tablespoons of juice to the bowl, cover and leave overnight.
Making the Bun Loaf
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin.
- Add the prepared fruit to the dough and stir until it is combined.
- Gather the dough into a ball and place it on a flour dusted work surface.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each into a ball.
- Arrange the dough balls in two rows of four in the bread tin.
- Cover and leave the dough to rise in a warm place until double in size (1 – 4 hours).
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Gently brush the surface of the dough with egg yolk.
- Put the plain flour into a bowl and add teaspoons of water to form a stiff paste or soft dough.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto a work surface and roll the dough into long strings or strips.
- Gently lift the dough strings onto the top of the loaf to form one or more crosses.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Turn out the loaf and leave it to cool on a wire rack.
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4