Wholemeal Khorasan and Sundried Tomato Bread Plait
About this recipe:
I like to dunk chunks of this bread into soups and also make this tear-and-share loaf to go with cheese, cold cuts and pickle at picnics.
baking tray and 2 x large mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Khorasan Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
350ml tepid water
1 tsp salt
100g sundried tomatoes, in oil
2 tbsp oil from the tomatoes
oil, for tray
200°C, Fan 180°C, Gas 6
Wholemeal Khorasan Dough
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Separate the egg, add the yolk to the bowl and save the white for later.
- Stir the water into the bowl and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the salt.
- Stir in the oil.
- Use your hands to bring everything together into a stiff ball of dough and knead for 100 presses.
- Cover the dough with a large upturned mixing bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and add them to the dough bowl.
- Squeeze and press the tomatoes into the dough as you knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Rub some oil generously around the inside of a baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Divide the dough into three equal pieces and roll each into a 40cm/16” strand.
- Lay the three strands in front of you, on the prepared tray, and pinch the furthest ends together.
- Plait the dough by gently lifting the right-hand strand over the middle strand to become the middle one. Then cross the left-hand strand over the new central strand so that it becomes the middle strand. Continue lifting the right- and left-hand strands over the central one and pinch the ends together to finish.
- Brush the dough with the reserved egg white.
- Leave the plait to rise in a warm, draught free place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until plump and golden.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then carefully transfer the bread plait to a rack and leave to cool.