Wholemeal Emmer Walnut and Beetroot Cake
About this recipe:
The combination of intense flavours in this artisanal whole grain bake creates a memorable special occasion cake. It is decorated with naturally sweet beetroot crisps which can be made in advance and stored in a tin.
potato peeler, large baking tray, food processor, 2 x 20cm/8” round, loose bottom cake tins and 2 x mixing bowls
CRISP BEETROOT TOPPING
100g raw beetroot
1 tbsp oil
oil, for tray
WALNUT AND BEETROOT CAKE
125g butter, melted
150g raw beetroot
pinch of Doves Farm Vitamin C
200g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Emmer Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
150g soft brown sugar
butter, for tins
CREAM CHEESE FILLING AND ICING
125g icing sugar
75g cream cheese
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Crisp Beetroot Topping
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little oil around a large baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Using a potato peeler, thinly slice the beetroot into a bowl.
- Add the oil and stir so that the slices are lightly coated in oil.
- Spread the slices onto the baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until crisp.
- Leave to cool completely.
Walnut and Beetroot Cake
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of two 20cm/8” round, loose bottom cake tins or insert a baking liner
- Melt the butter.
- Finely grate the beetroot into a large bowl.
- Sieve the vitamin C into the bowl and stir to combine
- Add the melted butter and eggs and mix together well.
- Put the flour, baking powder, walnuts and sugar into a food processor and blitz until combined.
- Tip this into the beetroot mixture and stir well.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn them out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
Cream Cheese Filling and Icing
- Put the butter into a bowl and beat until it is light and fluffy.
- Add half the icing sugar and beat to combine.
- Add the cream cheese and beat again.
- Spread a third of the mixture onto one cold sponge layer and place the second sponge layer on top.
- Spread the remainder over the top and sides of the cake.
- Press the beetroot crisps into the top of the icing.