Wholemeal Spelt Pastry
About this recipe:
This quantity of pastry can be used for the top and base of an 20cm/8” pie, to line a large baking tray or to make about 24 small tarts. We like to add a pinch of salt when using the pastry for a savoury dish although you could choose to avoid this if you are adding a sweet filling. If you don’t use all pastry when you make it, simply wrap and freeze it for another day.
mixing bowl and pastry blender
200g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Spelt Flour
pinch of salt
8-9 tbsp cold water
butter, for dish
flour, for dusting
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4 or according to your recipe
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around the inside of your dish or tin.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Put the flour and butter cubes into a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the salt and mix.
- Stir in enough of the water to bring the pastry together into a soft dough.
- Using your hands gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish.
- Continue as per your recipe.