Sponge Finger Biscuits
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
Crisp and light rather than soft or spongy, these classic finger shaped biscuits were historically served with afternoon tea and known by several names including Boudoir Biscuits, Ladies Fingers, Naples Biscuits and Savoyardi. These are lovely to serve with any mousse or cream dessert as well as using in Tiramisu and Lemon Trifle.
2 x mixing bowls, electric beater, sponge finger, éclair tray or large baking tray
50g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
25g Doves Farm Organic Cornflour
25g icing sugar
¼ tsp Doves Farm Vitamin C
25g caster sugar
¼ tsp vanilla extract
butter, for tray
caster sugar, for dusting
150°C, Fan 130°C, 300°F, Gas 2
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 12-hole éclair or sponge finger baking tray.
- OR, rub butter around the inside of a large baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the plain flour and cornflour into a bowl, stir to combine then sieve into another bowl.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Break the eggs, separating yolks into one mixing bowl and whites into a mixing bowl.
- Add the vitamin C to the whites and beat until stiff.
- Continue beating as you add the icing sugar, a spoon at a time.
- Add the caster sugar and vanilla extract to the yolks and beat until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Using a large metal spoon, take 2 spoons of beaten egg white and mix it into the yolk using a cutting and folding action.
- Add the remaining egg white, a couple of spoons at a time, using the spoon to fold it in, without knocking out the air.
- Sieve a third of the flour blend over the top and mix gently with the spoon in the cutting and folding action.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl in two more stages, continuing the gentle cutting and folding action.
- Spoon or pipe the mixture into the holes of the sponge finger tray.
- OR spoon or pipe sausage shapes onto a baking try.
- Working quickly, sprinkle a large pinch of caster sugar over each sponge finger.
- Bake immediately for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave on the baking tray for a few minutes.
- Transfer the fingers to a cooling rack.
- When cold store in an airtight tin.