About this recipe:
A classic trifle to serve at a special meal or add the finishing touch to an adult celebration. You can make the sponge fingers in advance and store them in an airtight tin for up to a month.
2 x mixing bowls and serving dish
65g lemon jelly cubes
140ml boiling water
140ml cold water
LEMON SPONGE FINGERS
70g sponge finger biscuits
3 tbsp limoncello
200g lemon curd
250ml double cream
25g icing sugar
2 tbsp limoncello
plain chocolate, to decorate
- Break the jelly cubes into pieces and put them in a bowl.
- Pour on the boiling water and stir until the jelly is dissolved.
- Stir in the cold water.
- Or, follow the jelly packet instructions.
- Pour the jelly into a glass serving dish and leave until almost set, 3-4 hours.
Lemon Sponge Fingers
- Put the sponge fingers onto a plate and cut them in half.
- Sprinkle the limoncello evenly over the top and turn the fingers over until it is absorbed.
- Arrange them over the jelly pieces pressing them down into the jelly at the sides.
- Spoon dollops of lemon curd over the sponge fingers.
- Pour the cream into a mixing bowl.
- Whip until the cream starts to thicken.
- Sieve the icing sugar over the cream and beat this in.
- Add the limoncello and beat to combine.
- Spoon the whipped cream on top of the lemon sponge fingers.
- Grate some chocolate and scatter it over the cream.
- Chill until ready to serve.