Medlar and Walnut Mince Tarts
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
These delicious mince tarts are based on a traditional recipe using medlar fruit and walnuts. Leave the fruits until bletted and very soft before using. With their special spiced pastry, medlar and walnut tarts would make a rather special addition to any winter festive celebration.
2 x 12-hole tart trays, round pastry cutter, saucepan and 2 x mixing bowls
250g soft medlars
25g mixed peel
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp rose water
1 orange, grated rind and juice
SWEET SPICED PASTRY
125g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 tbsp Doves Farm Organic Cornflour
½ tsp mixed spice
3 egg yolks
3-4 tbsp orange juice
oil, for tart trays
flour, for dusting
24 walnut halves
1 tbsp icing sugar
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Peel the medlars, remove the stones, put them into a mixing bowl and mash them.
- Add the currants, mixed peel, cinnamon, rose water, grated orange rind and juice.
- Put the honey and butter into a saucepan and gently melt together then add to the bowl.
- Stir everything together well.
Sweet Spiced Pastry
- Pre-heat tte oven.
- Rub some oil around the insides of two 12-hole tart trays.
- Sieve the flour, icing sugar, cornflour and mixed spice into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the flour and butter cubes together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolks and just enough orange juice to bring together a soft pastry dough. Add more drops of juice if this does not happen easily.
- Using your hands gather everything together to form a smooth ball of dough.
- Dust the work surface and dough with flour.
- Roll out the pastry until about 1.5mm/1/16” thick.
- Select a pastry cutter or cup 2cm/¾” larger than the holes of the tart trays and press into the dough to make circles.
- Lift the pastry circles into the holes of the tart trays.
Medlar Mince Tarts
- Put a spoon of mincemeat onto each pastry circle.
- Press a walnut half on top of the mincemeat.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Sieve icing sugar over the cooked tarts before serving.