- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil inside a large baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the milk into a bowl, add the egg and beat well.
- Finely grate the lemon rind, add it to the bowl and mix again.
- Put the flour, sugar and baking powder into a mixing bowl and stir really well to combine.
- Chop the butter into cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork, blend everything together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the prepared milk and stir to form a soft mass of dough.
- Divide the dough into 9 pieces, roll each into a ball and place it on the baking tray.
- Brush the top of the scones with milk.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes until golden brown.
Lemon Drizzle Topping and Serving
- Measure the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add drops of lemon juice to make a thick, slightly runny paste.
- Drizzle the paste over the scones.
- Split the scones and serve them with lemon curd.
220˚C, Fan 200˚C, 425˚F, Gas 7.