Wholemeal Rye Scones
About this recipe:
Why not ring the changes and use wholemeal rye flour for your next batch of afternoon scones?
large baking tray, 5cm/2” round cookie cutter and 3 x mixing bowls
200g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Rye Flour
5 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp oil
1 egg, for brushing
flour, for dusting
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Dust a large baking tray with a little flour or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and using a fork or whisk, blend everything together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Gently stir in the milk to form a soft, slightly sticky, mass of dough. Avoid kneading or overmixing the dough.
- Dust the worktop with flour, place the dough in the middle and dust it with flour.
- Gently flatten the dough with the palm of your hand until 3cm/1¼” thick.
- Dust a 5cm/2” round cookie cutter with flour and press it into the dough to cut circles.
- Lift the circles onto the prepared baking tray.
- Gather the off-cuts together into a ball then flatten the dough and cut further circles.
- Break the egg into a bowl, beat well and brush the beaten egg over the scones.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.