White Spelt Pikelet Pancakes
About this recipe:
Pikelets, a close cousin to the crumpet, are yeasted pancakes the size of a drop scone or scotch pancake. Serve warm pikelets with butter and honey or jam at breakfast or tea time.
frying pan and 2 x mixing bowls
200g Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
oil, for frying
- Break the egg into a bowl, add the milk and beat together.
- Put the flour, yeast and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour in the milk mixture and beat into a smooth batter.
- Cover and leave the batter to stand for at least 2 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Put a little oil into a frying pan, roll it around to cover the surface and heat until nice and hot.
- Pour batter into the pan to make 75mm/3” circles and cook on a medium heat.
- When bubbles appear on the surface and the base is golden turn the pancake over and cook the other side.
- Transfer cooked pikelets to a plate.
- Repeat until the batter is used.
- Warm or toast the pikelets before serving.