Wholemeal Spelt, Olive and Pine Nut Loaf
About this recipe:
This savoury loaf with olives and pine nuts can turn a simple salad, soup or cheese board into a real meal.
oven tray and 2 x large mixing bowls
250g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Spelt Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
175ml tepid water
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
50g pine nuts
100g olives, pitted
oil, for tray
flour, for dusting
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Stir in the tepid water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the salt.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the sticky dough in its bowl, or on a work surface, for 100 presses.
- Cover the dough with a large upturned mixing bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of an oven tray.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Add the pine nuts and olives, kneading until they are combined with the dough.
- Shape the dough into a 23cm/9” oval and put it on the oven tray, pushing any exposed olives back into the dough.
- Dust the loaf with a little flour.
- Invert a mixing bowl over the dough and leave it to rise in a warm place for 35-40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the inverted bowl and bake for 35-40 minutes. You will know it’s done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Leave to cook on a wire rack.