White Rye and Apricot Tea Bread
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
A satisfying artisanal loaf with a light chewy crumb surrounding fruity apricot pockets. Serve slices of this white rye flour tea bread spread with fresh dairy butter for a special breakfast or with some artisan cheese for a tasty light lunch.
baking tray, pastry brush, jug or bowl and 2 x mixing bowls
APRICOT TEA BREAD
1 tea bag
100g muscovado sugar
225ml boiling water
300g Doves Farm Organic White Rye Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
100g dried apricots
1 tbsp oil
oil, for baking tray
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp boiling water
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
Apricot Tea Bread
- Put the tea bag and muscovado sugar into a jug or bowl, add the boiling water, stir and leave to cool.
- Put the flour and yeast into a mixing bowl and blend them together.
- Tip the cold tea into the mixing bowl, squeeze and dispose of the tea bag.
- Stir to combine and bring together to form a sticky, doughy mass.
- Invert a large bowl over the dough bowl and leave in a warm place until the dough is swollen and risen, about two hours.
- Cut the apricots into quarters and gently knead them into the sticky dough.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Sprinkle the oil over the dough.
- Form the dough into a 23cm/9” oval and put it on the prepared baking tray.
- Invert a large bowl over the dough and leave to rise in a warm place for 45-50 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven 20 minutes before you are going to bake.
- Remove the inverted bowl and bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Mix the sugar and boiling water together to make a syrup.
- When the bread comes out of the oven, immediately brush it all over with the syrup.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.