Oat Flour Chocolate and Chestnut Cake
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
Chestnut combines with orange and vanilla in this pleasing cake which is made without sugar. Although not strictly sugar free, the optional addition of thin layer of 85% chocolate can be quite literally the icing on the cake. Serve slices with coffee or as a dessert with a spoonful of crème fraiche on the side.
15cm/6” deep, round, loose bottomed cake tin and 2 x mixing bowls
75g Doves Farm Organic Oat Flour
½ tsp Doves Farm Bicarbonate of Soda
100g apples, grated
1 orange, grated and juice
75g natural yoghurt
2 tsp vanilla extract
100g chestnuts, chopped
50g 85% chocolate
oil, for tin
crème fraiche, to serve
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 15cm/6” deep, round, loose bottom cake tin or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the oat flour and bicarbonate of soda into a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Grate the apple into a mixing bowl.
- Finely grate the orange rind, squeeze the juice and add them to the apple.
- Break the eggs into the bowl.
- Add the yoghurt, and vanilla extract and beat everything together until smooth.
- Add the prepared oat flour blend and stir to combine.
- Finely chop the chestnuts, add these to the bowl and stir again.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt gently. Spread over the cold cake and leave to set.
- When cold store the cake in a tin.