Teff and Date Flapjack Traybake
About this recipe:
A naturally sweet date layer is baked into the middle of this flapjack traybake. We used coconut oil and maple syrup but you can swap these for dairy or vegan butter and golden syrup
18x23cm/7×9” oven tray, saucepan and mixing bowl
150ml boiling water
TEFF TRAYBAKE BASE
200g porridge oats
120g Doves Farm Organic Teff Flour
50g ground almonds
200g coconut oil
150ml maple syrup
1 tbsp water
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Roughly chop the dates into a saucepan, add the boiling water, cover and bring to the boil. Gently simmer for 3 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little oil around the inside of an 20cm/8” square baking tray.
- Measure the oats, teff flour, ground almonds, coconut oil, maple syrup and water into a mixing bowl and mix to make lumpy breadcrumbs.
- Tip half the mixture into the prepared tray, spreading it out evenly and press flat.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Mash the dates with a fork.
- Remove the tray from the oven and spread the date mash evenly over the base.
- Spread the topping evenly over the date paste and gently pat it down.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and, while still warm, slice into squares and leave to cool in the tin.
- When cold slice again, remove the squares from the dish and store in a tin.