Lemon Layer Cakes
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of two 15cm/6” round baking tins or insert a baking liner.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and put them into a mixing bowl or food processor.
- Break the eggs into the bowl.
- Add the sugar, flour and lemon juice.
- Beat or pulse the ingredients together to make a smooth mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. If a cocktail stick pressed into the centre of the cake comes out clean, it is cooked.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 5 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave until completely cold.
Lemon Buttercream Filling
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Finely grate the lemon rind into a separate mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Add the butter cubes to the mixing bowl and beat to combine.
- Continue beating, adding the icing sugar a spoon at a time.
- Spread over the top of one cold sponge.
- Place the other sponge on top.
Lemon Water Icing
- Measure the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and stir into a smooth paste.
- Spread the icing over the top of the cake.
2 x 15cm/6” round baking tins, electric beaters, 2 x mixing bowls or food processor
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4