All in One Lemon Sponge Layer Cake
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
All the ingredients are measured into the bowl at the beginning for this cake, hence the ‘all in one’ name. Softened butter is important in this lemony creation which makes an ideal tea time treat. For simplicity, these lemon sponge layers could be sandwiched together with lemon curd, marmalade or cream cheese and the top dusted with a little icing sugar.
2 x 15cm/6” round baking tins, electric beaters, 2 x mixing bowls or food processor
LEMON LAYER CAKES
100g caster sugar
100g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising White Flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
butter, for tins
LEMON BUTTERCREAM FILLING
75g icing sugar
2 tsp lemon rind, grated
LEMON WATER ICING
75g icing sugar
4 tsp lemon juice
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Lemon Layer Cakes
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of two 15cm/6” round baking tins or insert a baking liner.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and put them into a mixing bowl or food processor.
- Break the eggs into the bowl.
- Add the sugar, flour and lemon juice.
- Beat or pulse the ingredients together to make a smooth mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. If a cocktail stick pressed into the centre of the cake comes out clean, it is cooked.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 5 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave until completely cold.
Lemon Buttercream Filling
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Finely grate the lemon rind into a separate mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Add the butter cubes to the mixing bowl and beat to combine.
- Continue beating, adding the icing sugar a spoon at a time.
- Spread over the top of one cold sponge.
- Place the other sponge on top.
Lemon Water Icing
- Measure the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and stir into a smooth paste.
- Spread the icing over the top of the cake.