Gougères Cheese Puffs
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
These little cheesy mouthfuls are ideal for nibbling, sharing with friends and serving on a celebratory occasion. Traditionally made with gruyère cheese and often lightly warmed before serving, you can also make these canapé treats with any tasty hard cheese.
2 x large baking trays, 2 x mixing bowls, baking liner or parchment paper, saucepan, 2 x teaspoons or a piping bag
75g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
pinch of nutmeg (optional)
75g gruyère cheese
- Line two large baking trays with a baking liner or parchment paper.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, sprinkle the salt and pepper on top, add the nutmeg if using and put it beside the cooker.
- Break the eggs into another bowl, beat them well and leave this bowl next to the cooker.
- Finely grate the cheese and leave this next to the cooker too.
- Put the butter and water into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- When the butter has melted and water come to the boil, remove the pan from the heat.
- Immediately add the flour from the bowl and mix into a thick paste.
- Return the pan to a gentle heat, stirring vigorously for 30 seconds, to make a soft dough.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add a third of the egg and beat it into the dough with a spatula.
- When it is incorporated, beat in another third of the egg.
- Beat in the remaining egg to make a thick, smooth paste.
- Beat in the grated cheese.
- Take a teaspoon of the paste, scrape it onto a second teaspoon, then scrape it back onto the original spoon to encourage the formation of a ball of paste.
- Drop the ball of paste onto the baking tray and repeat with the remaining paste.
- OR, put the paste into a piping bag and pipe small balls of dough onto the baking tray.
- Chill for 20 minutes or up to 12 hours or open freeze, bag and store for up to a month.
- Pre-heat the oven for 20 minutes before baking.
- Bake chilled gougères for 18-20 minutes until golden brown and crisp to the touch.
- OR, bake frozen gougères for 15 minutes, turn them over and bake for another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- As soon as you can handle the gougère puffs, prick the side of each one to allow the steam to escape.
- Transfer the gougère puffs to a wire rack to cool.
- Before serving, gently warm the gougère puffs.