Spinach and Feta White Spelt Quiche
About this recipe:
Serve quiche, which can be made with fresh or frozen spinach, for lunch or a midweek supper.
20cm/8” round baking dish or tart tin, frying pan, 2 x mixing bowls and pastry blender
WHITE SPELT PASTRY
100g Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
pinch of salt
4-5 tbsp cold water
butter, for dish
flour, for dusting
SPINACH AND FETA FILLING
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
pinch of nutmeg
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
White Spelt Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around a 20cm/8” round baking dish or tart tin or insert a baking liner.
- Put the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter cubes and flour together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough water to make a soft slightly sticky dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll the pastry out into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish OR simply press the dough into the dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish.
Spinach and Feta Filling
- Wash and roughly chop the spinach into a frying pan over a medium heat, cover and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. OR thaw frozen spinach.
- Put the eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg into a mixing bowl and beat well.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case.
- Cut the feta into lumps and spread it on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.