- Pre-heat the oven.
- Stand 10 fairy cake cases in the holes of the tart tray.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, ensuring each is well incorporated before adding the next.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl then stir it into the mixture.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract and combine well.
- Divide the mixture between the 10 prepared cake cases.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the sponges spring back when touched.
- Cool the cakes on a wire rack.
Lemon Iced Butterfly Wings
- When the cakes are cold, slice the top off each one, lay out the circles on a chopping board and cut each slice into two halves.
- Put the decoration icing sugar and lemon juice into a bowl and stir into a smooth paste.
- Drizzle a little icing in a pattern over the cake top halves and leave to set.
Strawberry Buttercream and Butterfly Decoration
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the butter and jam, stir and mix into a soft and smooth icing.
- Spread or pipe some of the icing onto the top of each cake.
- Press two sponge halves sideways into the icing to make the ‘butterflies’.
1 x 12-hole cake tray, 10 fairy cake cases, chopping board and mixing bowl
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6.