Lemon Sponge Layer Cake
About this recipe:
With just the right sweet to sharp ratio, these lemon sponge sandwich layers are covered with cream cheese icing.
2 x 15cm/6” tins and 2 x mixing bowls
100g softened butter
100g caster sugar
2 lemons, rind and juice
100g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising White Flour
butter, for tins
LEMON FILLING AND TOPPING
50g granulated sugar
3 tbsp lemon marmalade
50g softened butter
50g cream cheese
125g icing sugar
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of 2 x 15cm/6” tins or insert cake liners.
- Beat together the butter and sugar.
- Break the eggs into the bowl one at a time, beat until they are incorporated.
- Finely grate the lemon rind into the bowl and beat again.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl and stir to incorporate.
- Squeeze the lemons (keep two left-over lemon halves for later) add the juice to the bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
Lemon Filling & Topping
- Slice the left-over lemon halves into fine, thin strips.
- Put the lemon and sugar into a saucepan and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally as the sugar melts into a syrup.
- Tip the lemon and syrup onto a plate and leave to cool.
- Spread the lemon marmalade on one sponge layer and place the second sponge layer on top.
- Measure the butter and cream cheese into a bowl and beat them together.
- Add the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Spread over the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate the top with the prepared lemon rind.