Lemon Drizzle Cake
About this recipe:
One of the classic cakes with a citrus crunch on the outside and soft moist lemon sponge on the inside. This cake will store for up to a week in an airtight tin.
1kg/2lb loaf tin, saucepan and 2 x mixing bowls
175g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
3 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
175g caster sugar
2 lemons, unwaxed
2 tbsp milk
butter, for tin
75g caster sugar
LEMON DRIZZLE TOPPING
100g caster sugar
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 1kg/2lb loaf tin or insert a baking liner.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl, stir to combine and set aside.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Put the butter cubes into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Finely grate the lemon rind, add it to the bowl and beat it in.
- Beat the eggs one at a time, into the mixing bowl ensuring each is well incorporated before adding the next.
- Sieve the prepared flour to the mixing bowl followed by the milk and stir to combine.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked. Leave the cake in its tin.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a jug, add more lemon or water, if necessary, to make 75ml liquid.
- Pour this into a saucepan, add the sugar and bring to the boil shaking the pan occasionally. Simmer gently for 2 minutes to make a syrup.
- Prick all over the surface of the warm cake with a BBQ stick or skewer, pressing right through to the base of the cake.
- Pour the syrup slowly all over the surface of the cake and leave to cool in the tin.
Lemon Drizzle Icing
- Place a chopping board over the cold cake tin and invert it onto the board.
- Using a zester, peel some strands of zest from the lemon and set these aside.
- Squeeze the lemon juice.
- Measure the sugar into a bowl, add the lemon juice and stir to make the drizzle.
- Pour the drizzle over the top of the cake and spread it around the sides of the cake with a knife.
- Scatter the prepared strands of lemon zest over the cake.
- Leave to set before serving.