About this recipe:
Lightly spiced and studded with dried currants these delicious butter biscuits are traditionally baked at Easter time. Our recipe for Easter Biscuits with Chocolate Chips makes a great alternative for those who are less keen on dried fruit.
large baking tray, 2 x mixing bowls, 7cm/2¾ biscuit cutter and pastry brush
200g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
½ tsp mixed spice
100g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp lemon rind – grated
2 tbsp lemon juice
butter, for tray
flour, for dusting
1 egg white
2 tbsp caster sugar
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a large baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the flour and mixed spice into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and transfer them to another mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk, grated lemon rind and lemon juice and beat well.
- Sieve the flour blend into the bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the currants and bring together a ball of biscuit dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to the thickness of 3-4mm/⅛”.
- Press a 7cm/2¾ round biscuit cutter or cup through the dough to make circles then gently lift them onto the prepared baking tray.
- Gather together the off cuts and re-roll to make further biscuits.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and brush the biscuits with egg white.
- Sprinkle caster sugar over the biscuits then return them to the oven for a further 2-3 minutes.