Wholemeal Sultana Scones
About this recipe:
Made with fine plain wholemeal flour and sultanas, these square fruity scones are a pleasure to make and bake. Serve them simply, split and spread thickly with butter or add your favourite jam and a dollop of fresh cream.
large baking tray and 2 x mixing bowls
200g Doves Farm Organic Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
flour, for dusting
milk, for brushing
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Dust a large baking tray with flour.
- Measure the flour and baking powder into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the brown sugar.
- Chop the butter into the bowl and using a fork, blend everything together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sultanas and stir until they are covered with flour.
- Stir in the milk then use your hands to bring everything together to form a soft mass of dough.
- Lightly dust the work top with flour, place the dough in the middle and flatten it into a rectangle 2cm/¾” with your hands.
- Cut the dough into squares and brush the tops with milk.
- Lift the squares onto the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.