Homemade Crystallized Ginger
- Peel and chop the ginger into thin matchsticks.
- Put the ginger matchsticks into a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to stand for 1 hour.
- Drain the ginger and put it into a saucepan.
- Add the sugar and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally as the sugar melts into a syrup.
- Tip the ginger onto a plate and leave to cool.
Ginger Crumble Biscuits
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, ginger powder and salt into a bowl, stir to combine.
- Sieve the flour blend into another bowl and stir in the oats.
- Put the brown sugar, golden syrup, butter, lemon rind and juice into a saucepan and stir over gentle heat until the butter is melted.
- Tip this into the mixing bowl and stir.
- Chop the crystallized ginger and add it to the bowl.
- Continue stirring until a soft, sticky ball of dough comes together.
- Dust the dough lightly with flour and cut it into 30 pieces. Roll the dough pieces into balls and place the dough balls on the prepared baking tray.
- Flatten the dough balls lightly with the back of a fork.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
2x large baking trays, mixing bowl, grater and saucepan for crystallized ginger
170°C, Fan 150°C, 325°F, Gas 3