Wholemeal Spelt Gingerbread
- Measure the flour, cinnamon, ginger, coriander, allspice, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Sieve the flour blend into another bowl, adding the bran left in the sieve to the bowl.
- Stir to re-combine the bran.
- Put the baking block, soft brown sugar and molasses into a saucepan and heat gently, swirling the pan occasionally until dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat, pour everything into the flour blend and mix until combined.
- Leave the dough to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven 20 minutes before you are going to bake.
- Rub some baking block around the inside of two large baking trays or insert a baking liner.
- Dust the work surface very lightly with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with a little more flour.
- Roll out the dough until 7mm/¼” thick.
- Press the gingerbread man cookie cutter into the dough to cut out the shapes.
- Gently transfer the shapes to the prepared baking trays.
- Gather left over dough into a ball, roll it out again and cut more shapes.
- If adding currants or chocolate treats, moisten them lightly with water and press into the dough.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes.
- Leave to cool on the trays.
- Store cold gingerbread people in a tin.
Decorating the Gingerbread People
- Use writing icing to create features and patterns on the gingerbread.
- To add other edible decoration to cold gingerbread people, put a dot of icing on the biscuit and add the decoration.
- Leave until all the icing has set firmly.
- Store gingerbread people in a tin.
gingerbread person cookie cutter, 2 x large baking trays, 2 x mixing bowls and saucepan
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5