Wholemeal Emmer and Walnut Cob
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
Easy to prepare, a cob is the traditional name for a large ball of dough cooked on a baking tray. The deep, rich, wheaty flavour of Wholemeal Emmer flour combines really well with the warm, earthy, walnuts and walnut oil. Serve this delicious bread for both savoury and sweet occasions.
large baking tray and mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Emmer Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
350ml tepid water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp walnut oil
100g walnut pieces
oil, for tray
flour, for dusting
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Pour in the water and stir until everything looks craggy and lumpy, then stir in the salt.
- Stir in the walnut oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl, or on a work surface, for 100 presses.
- Cover the dough with an upturned bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a large baking tray.
- Knead the dough for another 50 presses.
- Add the walnuts and knead until they are combined.
- Shape the dough into a ball, pushing exposed walnuts back into the dough, and put it onto the prepared tray. Dust the dough lightly with flour.
- Invert a large bowl over the dough ball and leave to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the inverted bowl and bake for 40 minutes. You will know it’s done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Transfer the loaf to a wire rack and leave to cool.