White Rye and Herb Scones
About this recipe:
These savoury treats are ideal to serve with soup and equally delicious served with hummus or tomato salad. You can swap the herbs in these versatile vegan scones for chopped chives, chili and oregano, or whatever fresh or dried herbs you have to hand.
large baking tray and mixing bowl
200g Doves Farm Organic White Rye Flour
4 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
1 tsp sage
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
4 tbsp olive oil
flour, for dusting
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Dust a large baking tray with flour.
- Measure the flour and baking powder into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sage, rosemary, thyme, sugar, salt and pepper and blend together well.
- Sprinkle the oil over the flour and using a fork, blend everything together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add enough water, stirring to form a soft, sticky dough. Do not over mix.
- Gather together the dough into a rough ball and transfer it to the prepared baking tray.
- Dust the top with flour and gently flatten the dough with your hands, into a circle 3cm/1¼” thick.
- Cut the dough into six wedges pushing them apart with the knife to make a 2cm/¾” space between each.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Transfer the triangular scones to a wire rack to cool.