Stuffed Crust Pepperoni Pizza
About this recipe:
As the demand for pizza exploded towards the end of the 20th century, the idea of inserting a filling inside the outer crust of a pizza added a fresh new dimension to this classic food. Its not that difficult to make a stuffed crust and certainly adds to the enjoyment of this pizza.
large baking tray, 2 mixing bowls, clean tea towel and pastry brush
STUFFED PIZZA CRUST
150g Doves Farm Organic Pasta Flour
½ tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
¼ tsp salt
100ml tepid water
1 tbsp olive oil
flour, for dusting
TOMATO AND PEPPERONI TOPPING
75g tomato purée
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
75g cheese, grated
olive oil, for brushing
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
Stuffed Pizza Crust
- Put the flour, yeast, and salt into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Stir in the water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the oil.
- Using your hands gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead dough in the bowl for 100 presses.
- Invert another bowl over the top and leave in a warm place, for the dough to double in size, about an hour. The dough can rest longer if necessary.
- Dust a large baking tray with flour and pre-heat the oven.
- Cut the mozzarella into 7mm/¼” thick slices, cut those into 7mm/¼” wide strips.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for another 100 presses.
- Put the dough on the baking tray and sprinkle it with flour.
- Gently roll and stretch the dough into a 35cm/14” circle.
- Lay the mozzarella in a circle, 2cm/¾” from the edge of the dough.
- Lift the edges of the dough over the mozzarella pressing to seal and enclose it, forming a ridge around the edge of the pizza which will now be about 28cm/11” in diameter.
Tomato and Pepperoni Topping
- Put the tomato purée into a bowl, add the water, olive oil, oregano, brown sugar, salt and pepper and mix together well.
- Gently spread the tomato purée around the inside of the pizza crust and scatter the cheese on top.
- Dot the pepperoni over the pizza.
- Cover the pizza loosely with a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Take the pizza out of the oven and brush the ridged crust lightly with olive oil.