- Put the flour into a mixing bowl and make a depression in the middle.
- Break the eggs into the middle of the flour and beat with a spoon, allowing a little flour to be incorporated.
- Continue stirring the eggs as the flour mixes in, eventually forming a dough.
- Gather the dough together and knead it for 100 presses to make a smooth ball of dough, adding a little flour only if needed.
- Cover and leave the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
Ravioli Made Using a Rolling Pin
- Sprinkle flour over the table and rolling pin.
- Cut the pasta into eight pieces and roll each piece into a rectangle, turning it over regularly and dusting lightly with flour.
- Cut the dough sheets into 4x10cm/1½x4” rectangles
- Repeat with all the pieces of dough.
Ravioli Made Using a Pasta Machine
- Dust the pasta machine and the table liberally with flour.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Flatten each piece of dough and pass it through the widest, flat roller of a pasta machine to make a rectangle.
- Fold the rectangle in half to make a smaller rectangle and pass it through the roller again. Fold the sheet in half and pass it through the roller two more times, always aiming for rectangles.
- Lay the pasta on the table and cut each piece into 4 small rectangular pieces.
- Decrease the roller width 3 or 4 notches and pass each rectangle through a couple of times, to make longer rectangles. If the dough seems sticky, dust it with flour and lay the rectangles on a floured table.
- Reduce the roller width again and roll each pasta sheet into a thinner rectangle.
- Lay the pasta on a flour-dusted surface and cut the dough into 4x10cm/1½x4” rectangles.
Blue Cheese and Walnut filling
- Break the egg into a mixing bowl and beat well.
- Crumble the blue cheese into the bowl.
- Finely chop the walnuts and add these to the bowl.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
To Assemble the Ravioli
- Dust a large chopping board and a large tray with flour.
- Moisten the edges of the small pasta rectangles with a pastry brush dipped in water.
- Transfer the rectangles to the prepared chopping board.
- Put a small teaspoonful of the filling in the middle of each rectangle.
- Lift one side of the rectangles over its filling, pressing around the filling so that the pasta joins at the edges.
- Using the back of a fork, press around the ravioli edges to ensure they are sealed.
- Dust the pasta lightly with flour, transfer to the prepared tray and leave dry for 1 hour.
To Cook and Serve Blue Cheese and Walnut Ravioli
- Put the water and salt into a large saucepan and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Add the pasta and stir to ensure it is free flowing in the water.
- Cook for 7-15 minutes, depending upon the size and thickness of the pasta.
- To test if the pasta is cooked, carefully remove a piece of ravioli from the pan, cut the pasta with the side of a fork and if the pasta resists, continue to cooking, repeating the fork test every minute.
- When cooked drain the pasta, sprinkle with a little olive oil, stir and serve immediately with some chopped walnuts on top, accompanied by a bowl of grated parmesan.
Rolling pin, knife, pastry brush, large 2lt saucepan, mixing bowl, chopping board and large tray.