Wholemeal Khorasan and Wholemeal Spelt Bread
About this recipe:
A wonderful, creamy-coloured, mixed whole grain loaf that makes a delicious alternative to regular wheat-based breads.
1kg/2lb bread tin and mixing bowls
250g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Khorasan Flour
250g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Spelt Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
375ml tepid water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Put the Khorasan and Wholemeal Spelt flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Pour in the water and stir until everything looks craggy and lumpy then stir in the salt.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl, or on a work surface, for 100 presses.
- Cover the dough with an upturned mixing bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin.
- Knead the dough for another 50 presses.
- Shape the dough, put it into the prepared tin.
- Cover with an upturned mixing bowl and leave it to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the bowl and bake for 40-45 minutes. You will know it’s done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Turn the loaf out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.