White Spelt Seeded Crackers
About this recipe:
A great alternative to shop bought snacks. Delicious on their own or serve with a dip of your choice.
large baking tray and 2 x mixing bowls
WHITE SPELT CRACKERS
200g Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
¼ tsp salt
100g butter, chilled
7 tbsp cold water
flour, for dusting
oil, for tray
50g cheddar, grated
20g pumpkin seeds
20g sunflower seeds
1 tbsp poppy seeds
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
25g grated parmesan
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
White Spelt Crackers
- Measure the flour and salt into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Cut the chilled butter into small cubes or slices and divide into two equal piles.
- Add half the butter to the bowl and chill the rest.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles lumpy breadcrumbs.
- Add the water to bring together a soft pastry dough. If this does not happen easily add a teaspoon of water.
- Lightly flour the work surface put the pastry in the middle and dust it with flour.
- Roll the pastry into a 20x25cm/8×10” rectangle.
- Fold the left-hand side of the pastry onto the middle third and the right-hand side on top of that.
- Cover the pastry and chill for 10 minutes.
- Dust the work surface and chilled pastry dough with flour.
- For a second time, roll the dough into a 20x25cm/8×10” rectangle.
- Spread the remaining prepared butter over the middle of the pastry rectangle, leaving pastry on either side.
- Lift the left side of the pastry over the butter, and the right-hand side on top of that.
- Press around the edges to enclose all of the butter.
- Cover and leave to chill for at least 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and if very cold and hard, allow it to come back to room temperature.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a large baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Grate the cheddar cheese into a bowl, add the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Mix together well.
- Dust the work surface and the dough with flour.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle 3mm/⅛” thick.
- Spread the prepared cheese mixture over the pastry and sprinkle with grated parmesan on top.
- Slice the dough into diamond shapes and transfer them to the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Transfer the diamonds to a wire rack to cool.
- Store the cold crackers in an airtight tin.
- Serve cold or gently warmed.