Chocolate Orange Cake
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
Baked as an upside-down cake the intense flavours of this decadent chocolate orange cake make it an ideal choice for a seasonal celebration. A simple slice makes a mouth-watering treat although you might choose to serve this at the end of a special meal, with some thick cream or crème fraiche.
zester, grater, saucepan, mixing bowl and 20cm/8″ round deep cake tin
5 tbsp water
CHOCOLATE ORANGE CAKE
75ml boiling water
1 tsp vanilla extract
175g caster sugar
100ml olive oil
1 tbsp orange rind, from above
150g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising White Flour
oil, for tin
CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE TOPPING
75g plain chocolate
- Peel some orange zest strips into a small bowl, and finely grate the remaining rind into another bowl.
- Thinly slice the oranges and half the slices.
- Put the sugar and water into a saucepan, over a medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the orange halves and boil gently until translucent and soft, about 15 minutes.
- Carefully lift the orange slices out of the syrup onto a plate.
- Put the orange zest into the syrup (reserve the grated rind for later) and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the caramelised zest onto another plate.
Chocolate Orange Cake
- Insert a cake liner in a 20cm/8″ deep, round cake tin and pre-heat the oven.
- Lay the prepared orange slices in a circular pattern in the bottom of the tin.
- Measure the cocoa into a bowl, add the boiling water and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
- Put the sugar and eggs into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the prepared cocoa followed by the olive oil and reserved grated rind.
- Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Tip the mixture onto the oranges and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Leave the tin for 20 minutes then carefully turn the cake out onto a wire rack, remove the cake liner and leave to cool.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces.
- Measure out the cream and bring just to the boil.
- Add the chocolate, without any heat, stirring until smooth.
- Using a spoon, icing bag or bottle, drizzle the chocolate over the cake.
- Transfer the caramelised orange zest onto the cake and leave to set.