Wholemeal Carrot Cake
About this recipe:
Made with wholemeal flour, the grated carrot in this tasty cake keeps the cake moist and the flavour improves after several days in the cake tin. You may also like our Sugar Free Banana and Carrot Cake.
18cm/7” round, deep, loose bottom cake tin, electric beaters, mixing bowl and oven tray
200g carrots, grated
1 orange, grated rind
100g light brown sugar
100g sunflower oil
200g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
50g walnut pieces
oil, for tin
25g walnut pieces
150g icing sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 orange, juice
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 18cm/7” round, deep, loose bottom cake tin or insert a baking liner.
- Finely grate the carrots and orange rind into a bowl and set aside.
- Put the eggs and sugar into a large mixing bowl and using electric beaters, beat until pale and frothy.
- Beat in the oil.
- Add the flour and beat until combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the carrots and beat again.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 30 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Finely chop the walnuts, put them on an oven tray and bake in a hot oven or toast under the grill for 2-3- minutes until golden. Leave to cool.
- Put the butter into a mixing bowl and beat until it is light and fluffy.
- Sieve the icing sugar and cinnamon into the bowl and beat, slowly at first, until combined.
- Squeeze the orange and add 2-3 tablespoons of the juice to make a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the topping over the top of the cold cake.
- Dust the outer edges of the cake with the cold, chopped walnuts.