- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around the inside of a 23cm/9” quiche dish or tin.
- Put the flour, salt and butter into a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough of the water to bring the pastry together into a soft dough.
- Cover and rest it for 15 minutes.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish.
Caramelised Onion Filling
- Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- Put the oil into a frying pan over medium heat and add the onions.
- Cover and cook, shaking the pan occasionally until the onions are soft and starting to brown which will take 15-25 minutes.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the cream and beat together well.
- Grate the cheese into the bowl, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add the onion and stir again.
- Tip the mixture onto the pastry, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5