Wholemeal Rye, Chocolate and Almond Loaf Cake
About this recipe:
This traditional Austrian style chocolate cake is delicious with or without the icing. Packed with wholegrain goodness, it slices easily and keeps well – perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.
500g/1lb loaf tin, 3 x mixing bowls, saucepan and blender
CHOCOLATE ALMOND CAKE
75g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Rye Flour
75g ground almonds
½ tsp cinnamon
75g plain chocolate
75g unsalted butter
25g glacé peel
100g caster sugar
butter, for tin
COCOA ALMOND TOPPING
50g caster sugar
2 tbsp cream
½ tsp vanilla extract
10 blanched almonds
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Chocolate Almond Cake
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 500g/1lb loaf tin or insert a cake liner.
- Put the flour, ground almonds and cinnamon into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Break the chocolate into another bowl, add the butter and melt together gently.
- Finely dice the glacé peel with a knife or in a blender.
- Put the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until they thicken slightly.
- Add the diced glace peel and melted chocolate and beat well.
- Stir in the prepared flour and ground almonds.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack.
Cocoa Almond Topping
- Put the butter, cocoa, sugar, cream and vanilla extract into a saucepan over a medium heat and stir until dissolved. Simmer gently for 6-8 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Allow to cool, stirring occasionally until it thickens.
- Beat until smooth and glossy then spread it over the cold cake.
- Press the ten blanched almonds onto the top of the cake before the icing sets.