White Rye Chocolate Sacher Cake
About this recipe:
A classic dense chocolate cake of Austrian origin, Sachertorte cake has an apricot jam filling and chocolate fudge topping. Traditionally the word Sacher would be piped onto the top of this cake.
23cm/9” round, loose bottom cake tin, piping bag or parchment paper, saucepan and 2 x mixing bowls
WHITE RYE CHOCOOLATE CAKE
125g unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g icing sugar
150g plain chocolate
pinch of Doves Farm Vitamin C
75g Doves Farm Organic White Rye Flour
butter, for tin
CHOCOLATE SACHER FILLING AND TOPPING
100g apricot jam
50g plain chocolate
¼ tsp coffee powder
75g caster sugar
½ tsp golden syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp chocolate spread
170°C, Fan 150°C, 325°F, Gas 3
White Rye Chocolate Cake
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 23cm/9” round, loose bottom cake tin or insert a baking liner.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Put the butter cubes and vanilla extract into a large bowl and beat until soft and smooth.
- Sieve the icing sugar into the bowl and beat to combine.
- Melt the chocolate and beat this into the mixture.
- Break the eggs separating the eggs and whites into separate bowls.
- Beat the yolks into the mixing bowl.
- Add the vitamin C to the egg whites and beat until they are very stiff.
- Fold half the beaten egg white into the chocolate mixture using a metal spoon, with a cutting and folding action.
- Sieve half the flour into the bowl and mix it in using a spoon with a cutting and folding action, taking care not to overmix.
- Sieve the remaining flour into the bowl, fold and cut this in too.
- Add the remaining egg white, gently cutting and folding that in.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
Chocolate Sacher Filling and Topping
- Carefully cut the cold cake in half horizontally.
- Spread the jam over one cake layer then replace the top layer.
- Brush the remaining jam over the sides of the cake.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces.
- Put the cream and coffee powder into a saucepan, over a gentle heat and stir until the coffee has dissolved.
- Sprinkle the sugar into the saucepan over a medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally, until the sugar looks dissolved.
- Stir the cream and bring it to the boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the chocolate pieces and leave to stand for 3 minutes.
- Add the golden syrup and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
- Immediately pour evenly over the top and sides of the cake.
- Leave the cake for a couple of hours for the icing to set.
- Put the chocolate spread into a piping bag.
- OR put the chocolate in the middle of a 30cm/12” square of parchment paper. Fold the paper in half, roll it into a pointed funnel and cut off the tip.
- Gently squeeze the piping bag or paper funnel to pipe a chocolate decoration onto the top of the cake or to write the traditional word Sacher.