White Rye Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around a 20cm/8” round baking dish or tart tin.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Put the flour, salt and butter cubes into a large bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough water to make a soft slightly sticky dough.
- Cover and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll the pastry out into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish OR simply press the dough into the dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish.
Swiss Chard and Goats Cheese Filling
- Wash and roughly chop the chard, place in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Cover and wilt the chard for about 5 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Put the eggs, salt and pepper into a mixing bowl and beat well.
- Stir in the cold wilted chard.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case.
- Cut the cheese into lumps and spread it on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
20cm/8” round baking dish or tart tin, 2 x mixing bowls, frying pan and pastry blender
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4