Wholemeal Khorasan Cheese and Onion Tear and Share Bread
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
This spectacular sharing bread could make a great centre piece for a celebration or a picnic. Serve cold or gently reheat before serving.
frying pan, large mixing bowls and baking tray
500g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Khorasan Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
250ml cider or apple juice
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp sunflower oil
300g red onion
flour, for dusting
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Stir in the cider, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the salt.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead dough in the bowl, or on a work surface, for 100 presses.
- Invert a large bowl over the dough bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Gently fry the onions in the remaining oil until they appear translucent then turn down the heat and cook until golden, about 40 minutes.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it into a 25x35cm/10×14” rectangle.
- Spread the cooked onions evenly over the dough.
- Cut the feta into cubes and scatter it over the onions.
- Moisten the edges of the dough with water and roll into a cylinder, from the widest side, pinching the edges to ensure the filling is contained.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Gently transfer the dough cylinder to the baking tray.
- Make cuts three quarters of the way into the dough cylinder at 2cm/¾” intervals.
- Gently pull the dough cylinder into a circle allowing the cuts to open out as slices.
- Tease out the slices, still joined at the base, to create a fan effect.
- Cover the dough with an inverted bowl and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven.
- Remove the bowl and bake for 35-40 minutes.