About this recipe:
Serve Bakewell tart with a refreshing cup of afternoon tea or warm, and with custard or cream, at the end of a meal. Halfway between a pudding and a cake this traditional English tart has close links with the town of Bakewell in Derbyshire.
20cm/8” round, loose bottom tin, pastry blender and 2 x mixing bowls
100g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
50g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
butter, for tin
flour, for dusting
4 tbsp raspberry jam
75g caster sugar
25g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising White Flour
50g ground almonds
25g flaked almonds
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around an 20cm/8” round, loose bottom tin or insert a baking liner.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Chop butter into small cubes and add these to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter cubes into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add the egg yolks and stir well.
- Using your hands gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your tin and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of the tin.
- Spread the jam over the pastry.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the caster sugar and beat together well.
- Add the self-raising flour and ground almonds and stir gently to combine.
- Spread the mixture over the jam.
- Sprinkle flaked almonds over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.