- Pre-heat the oven.
- Measure the flour, salt and butter into a large bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, work the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough water to bring together a soft ball of dough.
- Cover the dough and leave it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Rub a little oil around the inside of a 23cm/9” quiche or tart dish.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your tin and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry hanging over the edge of your dish.
Red Pepper and Onion Filling
- Peel and dice the onions into a frying pan, add the oil, cover and cook over gentle heat for 15-20 minutes until they collapse.
- Dice the garlic and chilli and add them to the pan.
- Add the sugar and red wine (or grape juice) and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Halve the red peppers, remove the seeds and put them skin up on a baking tray.
- Cook under a hot grill until the skins start to blacken, remove and leave to cool.
- Peel the charred skin from the red peppers.
- Put the red peppers and prepared onion into a kitchen blender and pulse until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Tip the red pepper and onion puree into the pastry case spreading it out.
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and lay these on top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes.
23cm/9” tart or quiche dish, kitchen blender, frying pan, pastry blender and mixing bowl
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5