Vegan Red Pepper and Onion Tart
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
The red pepper and onions, which can be cooked in advance, are caramalised before adding to the pastry in this tasty vegan quiche.
23cm/9” tart or quiche dish, kitchen blender, frying pan, pastry blender, mixing bowl and baking tray
200g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
pinch of salt
100g vegan baking block
6-7 tbsp cold water
oil, for dish
flour, for dusting
RED PEPPER AND ONION FILLING
4 large onions
4 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves
1 red chilli
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp red wine/grape juice
4 red peppers
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Measure the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the baking block into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, work everything together until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough water to bring together a soft ball of dough.
- Cover the dough and leave it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Rub a little oil around the inside of a 23cm/9” quiche or tart dish.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your tin and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry hanging over the edge of your dish.
Red Pepper and Onion Filling
- Peel and dice the onions into a frying pan, add the oil, cover and cook over a gentle heat for 15-20 minutes until they collapse.
- Dice the garlic and chili and add them to the pan.
- Add the sugar and red wine (or grape juice) and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Halve the red peppers, remove the seeds and put them skin up on a baking tray.
- Cook under a hot grill until the skins start to blacken, remove and leave to cool.
- Peel the charred skin from the red peppers.
- Put the red peppers and prepared onion into a kitchen blender and pulse until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Tip the red pepper and onion puree into the pastry case spreading it out.
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and lay these on top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes.