Wholemeal Khorasan Za’atar Flatbread
About this recipe:
The zesty za’atar topping adds an interesting flavour to these middle Eastern style flatbreads. Serve them with a hummus dip, a hearty soup or simply cut into chunks with a bowl of black olives and chopped tomatoes.
2 x 25cm x 30cm / 10×12” baking trays, 2 x large mixing bowls and clean tea towel
WHOLEMEAL KHORASAN FLATBREAD
250g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Khorasan Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
175ml tepid water
3 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
oil, for hands
flour, for tin
4 tbsp za’atar
4 tbsp olive oil
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
Wholemeal Khorasan Flatbread
- Sprinkle flour on 2 x 25 x 30cm/10 x 12” baking trays.
- Put the Khorasan flour and yeast into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Pour in the water and stir until craggy and lumpy.
- Add the oil and salt and stir into a soft doughy mass.
- Put a little oil on your hands and knead the dough, in the bowl, for 100 presses.
- Invert another bowl over the mixing bowl and leave it to double in size, about 1-2 hours.
- Knead the dough with oiled hands for another 100 presses.
- Cut the dough into 2 equal pieces, roll each into a ball and put them on the prepared baking trays.
- Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand and your fingers to make a 20cm/8” circle.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- To make the topping, put the za’atar into a small mixing bowl, add the oil and stir to make a paste.
- Gently spread the za’atar topping over the risen dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.