Wholemeal Gingerbread Traybake with Chocolate Topping
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
This sweetly spiced gingerbread is baked in an oven tray using wholemeal flour and finished with a delicious fudgy chocolate topping. Serve in squares or slices with a glass of milk or hot drink for comforting snack.
20 x 20cm/8 x 8” baking tray, 2 x mixing bowls and saucepan
100g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
3 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground allspice
100g dark brown sugar
butter, for tray
75g plain chocolate
25g caster sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 20 x 20cm/8 x 8” baking tray. Or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the flour, ginger, cinnamon and allspice into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Chop the butter into cubes and put them into a saucepan to melt gently.
- As soon as the butter has melted remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the sugar and molasses and stir to combine.
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and beat them with a fork.
- Pour the eggs into the saucepan and mix well.
- Add the flour to the saucepan and stir vigorously until smooth.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tray.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Break the chocolate into cubes.
- Measure the cream and sugar into a saucepan.
- Put the saucepan over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has melted.
- As soon as bubbles start to appear, remove the pan from the heat.
- Tip the chocolate cubes into the pan, stir until melted and fully combined.
- Add the golden syrup and stir gently.
- Pour the topping over the cold gingerbread.
- Spread the topping out to the edges.
- As the topping cools you can drag a fork through the chocolate to make swirls.
- When cold cut into squares.