Wholemeal Dundee Fruit Cake
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
This classic fruit cake has a long Scottish pedigree. It typically includes marmalade and is finished with a decorative arrangement of almonds on the top. Dundee Cake makes a good alternative to an iced celebration cake for those who don’t like cherries, marzipan or icing.
20cm/8″ round deep, loose bottom cake tin, parchment paper, greaseproof or brown paper, 2 x mixing bowls and saucepan
DUNDEE FRUIT CAKE
2 tbsp milk
400g mixed dried fruit
150g Doves Farm Organic Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
125g soft brown sugar
oil, for tin
100g blanched almonds
150°C, Fan 130°C, 300°F, Gas 2
Dundee Fruit Cake
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 20cm/8″ round deep, loose bottom cake tin or insert a baking liner.
- Cut a 300mm/12” square of parchment paper, greaseproof or brown paper, fold the corners to meet in the middle, press to make folded flaps and save for later.
- Put the marmalade, milk and mixed dried fruit into a saucepan.
- Heat the pan, stirring occasionally until the marmalade has melted then remove from the heat.
- Measure the flour and baking powder into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into another bowl, adding any bran that is left in the sieve.
- Chop the butter into cubes and put them in a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Break the eggs into the bowl one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Tip the prepared flour into the bowl and mix well.
- Add the prepared fruit, stirring until fully combined.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Lay the almonds into the top of the cake in a circular pattern.
- Place the prepared paper square over the cake tin with the folded flaps pointing down to loosely cover the tin when it goes into the oven.
- Bake for 1¾ hours then look to see how the cake is cooking. It will probably need another 15 minutes cooking. When a cocktail stick pressed into the centre of the cake comes out clean, it is cooked.
- Allow to cool in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
- When quite cold, wrap the cake in kitchen foil and store in a tin for up to 6 weeks.