White Spelt Vanilla Loaf Cake
About this recipe:
We used White Spelt flour to make this pleasing everyday yoghurt loaf cake although you could swap in plain white flour. Using store cupboard ingredients, the yoghurt adds delicious lightness to this flavoursome bake. The easy to make vanilla icing adds a lovely finishing touch.
1kg/2lb loaf tin and 2 x mixing bowls
150g Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
½ tsp Doves Farm Bicarbonate of Soda
100g soft brown sugar
100g natural yoghurt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
oil, for tin
50g icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of 1kg/2lb loaf tin.
- Measure the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into another bowl.
- Break the egg into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, yoghurt, oil and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Tip the flour blend into the bowl and stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- When cold turn the cake out onto a wire rack.
- Weigh the icing sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir to make the icing.
- Using a teaspoon, drizzle the icing in zig zags up and down the cold cake.
- Leave until the icing to set then store cake in a tin.