Teff Vegan Millionaire’s Shortbread
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
A delicious vegan millionaires shortbread made with our teff flour – perfect with a cup of tea.
15 x 20”/6 x 8” baking tray, saucepan and 2 x mixing bowls
TEFF SHORTBREAD BASE
75g vegan baking block
75g caster sugar
120g Doves Farm Organic Teff Flour
oil, for tray
1 tin of coconut milk, 400g
275g caster sugar
25g light brown sugar
150g plain chocolate
50g vegan baking block
1 tbsp golden syrup
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Teff Shortbread Base
- Pre-heat the oven
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 15 x 20”/6 x 8” baking tray or insert a cake liner.
- Chop the butter into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and beat them together until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour and mix into fine breadcrumbs.
- Tip the mixture onto the prepared tray, pressing it into the corners and smoothing the top.
- Prick holes all over the dough with a fork and bake for 20 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Add the caster sugar and light brown sugar to the saucepan and whisk well.
- Bring the pan to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, whisking regularly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the caramel to cool and thicken slightly.
- Tip the caramel over the cold shortbread, spread it out into the corners and leave to cool.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces, put them into a bowl with the vegan butter.
- Melt gently until just runny and smooth.
- Quickly stir in the golden syrup and tip the chocolate mixture onto the cold caramel.
- Spread the chocolate evenly.
- When the chocolate has cooled a little, run the back of a fork across the chocolate to make lines and leave to set.
- Cut into slices and store the shortbread in a tin.