- Peel, core and coarsely grate the apple, into a saucepan.
- Finely grate the orange peel into the pan and add the orange juice.
- Add the coconut oil and sugar and put the pan over a gentle heat.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the apple starts to collapse into the syrup.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the mixed dried fruit and peel and mixed spice.
- Stir to combine and leave to cool.
- Spoon the mincemeat into sterilized jars and refrigerate for up to a couple of weeks. OR store in a freezer container until required.
- Use the mincemeat as per your recipe.
Vegan Spelt Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Put the flour and vegan fat into a large bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, mash the fat into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Sprinkle enough water over the flour and stir to bring together a soft ball of dough. Cover the bowl of dough and chill for 15 minutes.
- Rub a little oil around the insides of 2 x 12-hole tart trays.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the dough to a 1.5mm/1/16” thickness.
- Using a star pastry cutter 2cm/¾” larger than the holes of your tart tray, press out pastry stars.
- Lift the stars into the prepared tart trays and leave to chill.
- Gather the pastry off cuts together and press them into a ball.
- Roll out the ball of off-cuts to the thickness of a £1 coin.
- Using the small star pastry cutter, press out small dough stars and leave these to chill.
Filling, Topping and Glazing
- To make the glaze put the sugar and boiling water into a mug, stir to combine and set aside.
- Put a teaspoon of vegan mincemeat into the middle of the pastry stars.
- Place the prepared small stars onto the mincemeat.
- Brush a little of the prepared glaze over the top of each star using a pastry brush.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
2 x 12-hole tart tray, star cutter larger the holes of your tart trays, small star cutter, pastry brush, pastry blender, saucepan and mixing bowl
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4