White Spelt Vegan Mince Pies
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
Vegan mincemeat and vegan mince pies could be the ideal solution for your seasonal celebration. If your kitchen is warm, choose a solid vegan fat rather than a spread as this will help the pastry stars hold their shape. The actual amount of water you need in the pastry will vary depending on the type of vegan fat used. Our easy-to-make mincemeat is best made in advance of your baking day and keeps well in the fridge.
2 x 12-hole tart trays, star cutter larger than the holes of your tart trays, small star cutter, pastry brush, pastry blender, saucepan and 2 x mixing bowls
75g grated apple
1 orange, grated rind and juice
50g coconut oil
25g brown sugar
125g mixed dried fruit and peel
1 tsp mixed spice
VEGAN WHITE SPELT PASTRY
150g Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
100g vegan baking block
50g caster sugar
3-6 tbsp water
oil, for tray
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp boiling water
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Peel, core and coarsely grate the apple, into a saucepan.
- Finely grate the orange peel into the pan and add the orange juice.
- Add the coconut oil and sugar and put the pan over a gentle heat.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the apple starts to collapse into the syrup.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the mixed dried fruit and peel and mixed spice.
- Stir to combine and leave to cool.
- Spoon the mincemeat into sterilized jars and refrigerate for up to a couple of weeks. OR store in a freezer container until required.
- Use the mincemeat as per your recipe.
Vegan White Spelt Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the vegan baking block into cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the cubes and flour together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Sprinkle enough water over the flour and stir to bring together a soft ball of dough. Cover the bowl of dough and chill for 15 minutes.
- Rub a little oil around the insides of 2 x 12-hole tart trays.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the dough to a 1.5mm/1/16” thickness.
- Using a star pastry cutter 2cm/¾” larger than the holes of your tart tray, press out pastry stars.
- Lift the stars into the prepared tart trays and leave to chill.
- Gather the pastry off cuts together and press them into a ball.
- Roll out the ball of off-cuts to the thickness of a £1 coin.
- Using the small star pastry cutter, press out small dough stars and leave these to chill.
Filling, Topping and Glazing
- To make the glaze put the sugar and boiling water into a mug, stir to combine and set aside.
- Put a teaspoon of vegan mincemeat into the middle of the pastry stars.
- Place the prepared small stars onto the mincemeat.
- Brush a little of the prepared glaze over the top of each star using a pastry brush.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.