- Peel, core and coarsely grate the apple, into a saucepan.
- Finely grate the orange peel into the pan, squeeze and add the orange juice.
- Add the oil and sugar and simmer over a gentle heat for 8-10 minutes, until the apple starts to collapse into the syrup.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the mixed dried fruit and peel and mixed spice
- Cover leave to cool and leave to stand for 12 hours before use. The mincemeat can be put into sterilized jars, refrigerated for up to a week or frozen until required.
Vegan Spelt Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Put the flour and vegan fat into a large bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, mash the fat into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Sprinkle enough water over the flour and stir to bring together a soft ball of dough. Cover the bowl of dough and chill for 15 minutes.
- Rub a little oil around the insides of 2x12 hole tart trays.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the dough to a 1.5mm/1/16” thickness.
- Using a star pastry cutter 2cm/¾” larger than the holes of your tart tray, press out pastry stars.
- Lift the stars onto the prepared baking tray and leave to chill.
- Gather the pastry off cuts together and press them into a ball.
- Roll out the ball of off-cuts to the thickness of a £1 coin.
- Using the small star pastry cutter, press out small dough stars and leave these to chill.
Filling, Topping and Glazing
- To make the glaze put the sugar and boiling water into a mug, stir to combine and set aside.
- Put a teaspoon of vegan mincemeat middle of the pastry stars.
- Place the prepared small stars onto the mincemeat.
- Brush a little of the prepared glaze over the top of each star using a pastry brush.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
2x12 hole tart tray, star cutter larger the holes of your tart tray, small star cutter, pastry brush, pastry blender, saucepan and mixing bowl
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4