Traditional White Bread
About this recipe:
Make this recipe for one loaf or times it by three and you will have enough bread to freeze for a later date. This basic recipe can easily be adapted to the recipes for flavoured breads.
1kg/2lb bread tin and 2 x mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Bread Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
325ml tepid water
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin.
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Pour in the water, and stir until everything looks craggy and lumpy then stir in the salt.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl, or on a work surface, for 100 presses. Avoid adding flour.
- Invert a large bowl over the dough bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Shape the dough and put it into the prepared tin.
- Invert the large bowl over the tin and leave it to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven 20 minutes before you are going to bake.
- Remove the mixing bowl and bake for 40–45 minutes.
- Turn the bread out of the tin, tap the base and if it sounds hollow, the bread is cooked.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.