About this recipe:
23cm/9” tart or flan dish, parchment paper, ceramic baking beans and 2 x mixing bowls
150g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
75g caster sugar
3 egg yolks
butter, for dish
flour, for dusting
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of 23cm/9” tart or flan dish or insert a baking liner.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter cubes and flour together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add the egg yolks and stir to combine.
- Using your hands, gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of the dish.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Chill until required.
- Lay a large piece of parchment paper over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment paper, spreading them all over the surface.
- If the pastry is to have a cold filling, bake for 15-18 minutes then remove from the oven and carefully lift the parchment paper and contents off the pastry. Return the pastry to the oven and cook for a further 5-6 minutes. Fill according to your recipe.
- If the pastry is to be filled and cooked again, bake for 10-12 minutes then remove from the oven, carefully lift the parchment paper and contents off the pastry and return it to the oven and cook for a further 4-5 minutes without browning too much.
- Fill and bake according to your recipe.