About this recipe:
A few blueberries, raspberries or other berries add a great finishing touch to this delicious chocolate tart. If you prefer, you could make six 75mm/3” tarts instead of one large one. This tart freezes well.
20cm/8” baking dish, parchment paper, ceramic baking beans, 2 x mixing bowls and saucepan
150g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
25g caster sugar
3 egg yolks
butter, for dish
flour, for dusting
100g plain chocolate
200ml double cream
3 tbsp golden syrup
fresh berries, to serve
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 20cm/8” baking dish or insert a baking liner.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work them together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add the egg yolks and mix well.
- Using your hands gather everything together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry out into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish OR simply press the pastry into the dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of the dish.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Lay a large piece of parchment paper over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment paper, spreading them evenly over the surface.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes then remove from the oven and carefully lift the parchment paper and contents off the pastry.
- Return the pastry to the oven and cook for a further 12-15 minutes.
- Take the dish out of the oven, remove the parchment paper and its contents and leave it to cool.
- Break the chocolate into squares and put them into a mixing bowl.
- Pour the cream into a saucepan and heat it gently. As soon as bubbles start to appear remove the pan from the heat and pour the cream onto the chocolate.
- Stir until the chocolate has all melted into the cream.
- Add the golden syrup and stir to combine.
- Tip the mixture into the pastry case and leave to set.
- When cold refrigerate or freeze until required.