Leek and Bacon Quiche
About this recipe:
This hearty quiche makes an ideal hot, midweek, supper dish although it is also rather good served cold with salad.
20cm/8” round, loose bottom tin, frying pan, 2 x mixing bowls and pastry blender
150g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
pinch of salt
6-7 tbsp cold water
flour, for dusting
LEEK AND BACON FILLING
150g streaky bacon
2 tbsp oil
50g cheese, grated
salt and pepper
butter, for tin
oil, for pan
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around an 20cm/8” round, loose bottom tin and pre-heat the oven.
- Put the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter cubes into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough of the water to bring the pastry together into a soft dough.
- Using your hands gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish.
Leek and Bacon Filling
- Cut the bacon into 2cm/¾” lengths, put these into an oiled frying pan and cook gently over a medium heat until it changes colour, without browning. Tip the bacon onto a plate.
- Slice the leeks in to 2cm/¾” rounds, add them to the pan, cover and cook to soften but not collapse. Tip the leeks out onto the plate.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add salt and pepper and beat together well.
- Grate the cheese in to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the prepared bacon and leeks and gently mix them into the eggs.
- Tip the mixture into the pastry case.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.